March 1, 2024 11:23 am

More oil shippers halt passage via Red Sea due to rebel attacks — RT Business News

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest
WhatsApp
Telegram

URGENT: JUST 11 DAYS REMAIN TO HELP SAVE INDEPENDENT MEDIA & ANR, TO ENSURE WE ARE FULLY FUNDED FOR NEXT MONTH,SO LET'S CUT THE BS & GET TO THE POINT - WE WILL BE FORCED LAY OFF STAFF & REDUCE OPERATIONS UNLESS WE ARE FULLY FUNDED WITHIN THE NEXT 2 WEEKS - Sadly, less than 0.5% of readers currently donate or subscribe to us But YOU can easily change that. Imagine the impact we'd make if 3 in 10 readers supported us today. To start with we’d remove this annoying banner as we could fight for a full year...

British energy giant BP is temporarily suspending all crude shipments through the Red Sea due to recent attacks in the region, joining other major freight firms in the move, the company announced on Monday.

In its statement, BP cited the “deteriorating security situation” as Yemen-based Houthi rebels have targeted ships traversing the area that they believe to be bound for Israel.

“The safety and security of our people and those working on our behalf is BP’s priority,” the company said. “We will keep this precautionary pause under ongoing review, subject to circumstances as they evolve in the region.”

Industry experts warned that crude prices could soar in Europe and the Mediterranean if other major oil companies follow suit.

“Right now, it’s unclear how significant the impact will be, though if more shipping companies divert their traffic, and if the disruption lasts more than a week or two, prices are likely to climb further,”  Gregory Brew, an oil historian and analyst at Eurasia Group, predicted.

Many major freight companies have suspended travel via the southern entrance to the Red Sea – the Bab el-Mandeb Strait – as attacks on ships have intensified in recent days.

The Bab el-Mandeb Strait connects the Red Sea to the Gulf of Aden and then on to the Indian Ocean on one side and the Mediterranean Sea via the Suez Canal on the other. The waterway is a key route linking Asia and Europe and facilitates roughly 12% of global trade, including 30% of all global container shipments.

One of the world’s largest shipping firms, Evergreen Line, was among major ocean carriers to announce on Monday that it would no longer carry Israeli cargo via the Red Sea.

“For the safety of ships and crew, Evergreen Line has decided to temporarily stop accepting Israeli cargo with immediate effect, and has instructed its container ships to suspend navigation through the Red Sea until further notice,” the company’s statement read.

Earlier on Monday, Inventor Chemical Tankers, the owner of the MT Swan Atlantic, said its ship was hit by an “unidentified object” while in the Red Sea off Yemen despite there being no links to Israel.

Two global shipping majors, Denmark’s Maersk and Germany’s Hapag-Lloyd, halted their vessels’ passage through the Red Sea on Friday, because of an increased threat of attack.

The world’s largest shipping group, Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC), took a similar step and announced it was diverting its ships away from the Red Sea.

The Swiss-Italian shipping giant reported that, on December 15, its box ship MSC Palatium III was hit while transiting the Red Sea. “All crew are safe with no reported injuries. Meanwhile, the vessel suffered limited fire damage and has been taken out of service,” the company reportedly said.

Instead of using the Bab al-Mandab Strait, ships will now have to take a longer route navigating around southern Africa.

For more stories on economy & finance visit RT’s business section

Source link

Opinion pieces don’t necessarily reflect the position of our news site but of our Opinion writers.

Original Source: More oil shippers halt passage via Red Sea due to rebel attacks — RT Business News

Support the ANR from as little as $8 – it only takes a minute. If you can, please consider supporting us with a regular amount each month. Thank you.

Let’s not lose touch…Your Government and Big Tech are actively trying to censor the information reported by The ANR to serve their own needs. Subscribe now to make sure you receive the latest uncensored news in your inbox…

Australian National Review is Australia’s first real free and independent press, one with no editorial control by the elite, but a publication that can generate critical thinkers and critical debate and hold those spreading mistruths and deliberate propaganda in mainstream media to account.

News with a difference that will be educational, compelling and create a platform for political and social change in this country and address the real issues facing this country and the world.

Discover more from ANR

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Watch Full Documentary

URGENT: JUST 3 DAYS REMAIN TO HELP SAVE INDEPENDENT MEDIA & ANR, SO LET'S CUT THE BS & GET TO THE POINT - WE WILL BE FORCED TO LAY OFF STAFF & REDUCE OPERATIONS UNLESS WE ARE FULLY FUNDED WITHIN THE NEXT 2 WEEKS

Sadly, less than 0.5% of readers currently donate or subscribe to us But YOU can easily change that. Imagine the impact we'd make if 3 in 10 readers supported us today. To start with we’d remove this annoying banner as we could fight for a full year...

Get access to TruthMed- how to save your family and friends that have been vaxx with vaccine detox, & how the Unvaxxed can prevent spike protein infection from the jabbed.

Free with ANR Subscription from $8