31 January 2020
On January 26 2020 the ex-director of Australia’s research and surveillance unit for its vaccination program, Peter McIntyre, was awarded the Office of the Order of Australia Medal for his service to public health and medicine. This is despite the fact that there has been no transparency or accountability in the claims that he has promoted about vaccines during his 23 years at the the government National Centre for Immunisation, Research and Surveillance (NCIRS).
Peter McIntyre has been influencing Australia’s vaccination program ever since the NCIRS was established in 1997. For 23 years he has been involved in the government’s assessment of the science underpinning its vaccination program. Firstly as deputy-director 1997-2004 and then as director from 2005 – December 2017.
Since my PhD thesis has been published (2016) that makes conclusions about the rigour and the integrity of the government’s science on infectious disease control in Australia, Peter McIntyre has made many false claims in the mainstream media about my university research. These false and misleading claims affect the health of individuals and the community. Here are the corrections to Peter McIntyres false and misleading claims that he has made in the Australian media and in court cases from 2016 onwards.
In Newsletter 244 (24 January 2020) I provided details of the information that Peter McIntyre’s NCIRS has not provided to the community to support the mandating of 12+ vaccines in government social services policies in 2015 (implemented in January 2016). This included details of the potential conflicts of interest that existed from 2005-2015 that were never provided to the community.
In this newsletter I will summarise the false and misleading information that Peter Mcintyre and the NCIRS have provided to politicians and the community about the role of vaccines in controlling infectious diseases:
1) The NCIRS has promoted the national vaccination program as a ‘protective health policy’ but the NCIRS has never provided evidence that children’s health or community health has improved as each vaccine was added. This is because health has significantly declined as the vaccination program expanded from 7 to 16 vaccines, and the NCIRS has never evaluated this program on children’s health outcomes.
2) The NCIRS and the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) were not required to provide a submission of the science to the Senate Inquiry into the No Jab No Pay policy to demonstrate the need to mandate 12+ vaccines in Social Services legislation. There is no publicly available science from any other advisory board providing support for this policy.
3) There were no laws in any Health Act in Australia to support the mandating of any vaccines in social services legislation in 2015 so these Social Services laws were not for a legitimate public health purpose in January 2016.
4) The Australian government has refused the community’s request (under the freedom of Information Act) to provide the evidence that the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) relied upon to support mandatory vaccination.
5) Peter McIntyre refused along with 45 other government officials and public health advocates/doctors to attend a public seminar organised at the University of Technology in Sydney (October 2015) to present the evidence for mandatory vaccination policies before this policy was adopted.
6) In 2016 Peter McIntyre was one of the authors of a letter of complaint to the University of Wollongong that was used by lobby groups in January 2016 (one week after my thesis was published) in an attempt to inappropriately remove my PhD from the University.
7) Peter McIntyre has provided false information about my public health qualifications to the Australian Media (on several occasions since 2016) and he was involved in a court case in December 2018 where the government’s team leaked my confidential expert witness report to the mainstream media (a Federal Crime) instead of defending mandatory vaccination policies in the Brisbane Federal Circuit Court.
8) Peter McIntyre has also promoted the false information about my research that is being provided on Wikipedia by the global Skeptics Organisation in an attempt to discredit my university research. This defamatory and false information on Wikipedia cannot be corrected by me or my supervisor, Emeritus Professor Brian Martin. Further, the Australian Skeptics (founded by Dick Smith in 1980) that influences every Australian media and social media outlet, ensuring that this issue is presented only as an ‘anti-vaccination debate’ (instead of ‘choice in vaccination’), is connected to the Global Skeptics who promote corporate interests in government vaccination policies.
Other government vaccination advisors to receive the Office of the Order of Australia Medal include, Terry Nolan, chair of ATAGI and deputy-chair of the NHMRC from 2005-2014. He received his OAM in 2014 just before he retired from his government roles to return to the Murdoch Children’s Research Institute (MCRI) to continue researching and developing vaccines in Australia’s largest program.
The potential conflicts of interest of Australia’s vaccine advisors were not declared to the community between 2005-2015 and they included the appointment of Terry Nolan, from the Murdoch Children’s Research Institute (where he was researching and developing vaccines), to the chair of the government’s vaccine advisory board (ATAGI) in 2005. This role required him to recommend vaccines directly to the Minister of Health. He was also appointed deputy-chair of the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) that makes decisions about the areas of vaccine research that will be funded.
My PhD thesis (completed in 2015) concluded that the claims being made by the government in vaccination policies were based on assumptions and not definitive evidence. This is due to the undone research (important studies that have not been performed) on the safety and efficacy of vaccines.
Terry Nolan’s potential COI from 2005-2015 were never published for the community and they included:
Being a member of the vaccine advisory board for Commonwealth Serum Laboratories (CSL) and receiving nominal payments to support conference attendance from the pharmaceutical industry, including from CSL Ltd, Novartis and Glaxo SmithKline [Nolan et al 2010]. He was also a contributor to the World Health Organisation (WHO) on advice regarding pandemic influenza vaccines.
Dr. John Cunningham, a spinal medical practitioner and SAVN lobby group activist, was awarded the Office of the Order of Australia Medal (Immunisation and Science) in January 2016. This occurred after he misused the University’s complaint procedures in an attempt to discredit my in-depth research on the government’s whooping cough policy and after he had provided false and misleading claims about my PhD research in many mainstream and social media articles from 2014 – January 2016.
This false information that these government and medical practitioners have provided to the Australian community about my research is in contrast to the endorsment my research has received from academics. In October 2019 my research was endorsed by US research scientist, Dr. James Lyons-Weiler. Here is my interview with Dr. James Lyons-Weiler that describes the false and misleading information that Australians are receiving on vaccines from government and the mainstream media. This is a result of lobby group activists and the donations and lobbying system of the Australian government (my interview starts at 8 mins).
Judy Wilyman PhD
Bachelor of Science, University of NSW
Diploma of Education (Science), University of Wollongong
Master of Science (Population Health), Faculty of Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of Wollongong.
PhD in A critical analysis of the Australian government’s rationale for its vaccination policy’ (the science, politics and ethics of Australia’s vaccination policies) , UOW School of Humanities and Social Inquiry.
Website Vaccination Decisions
412 total views