No vax: Djokovic opposes coronavirus vaccination

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on telegram
Telegram

By The Sydney Morning Herald

Novak Djokovic is against any compulsory vaccinations for tennis players returning to the game after the coronavirus hiatus, and faces a dilemma if forced to do so himself.

“Personally I am opposed to vaccination and I wouldn’t want to be forced by someone to take a vaccine in order to be able to travel,” the world No.1 said in a live Facebook chat with several fellow Serbian athletes.

“But if it becomes compulsory, what will happen? I will have to make a decision. I have my own thoughts about the matter and whether those thoughts will change at some point, I don’t know.

“Hypothetically, if the season was to resume in July, August or September, though unlikely, I understand that a vaccine will become a requirement straight after we are out of strict quarantine and there is no vaccine yet.”

Last month, former women’s world No.1 Amelie Mauresmo said the rest of the 2020 tennis season might be wiped out, saying action should not resume before players can get vaccinated against the novel coronavirus.

“International circuit = players of all nationalities plus management, spectators and people from the four corners of the world who bring these events to life. No vaccine = no tennis,” the two-time grand slam winner said in a widely shared tweet.

Medical experts have said vaccines against the respiratory virus would not be ready until next year, raising doubts whether any further tennis tournaments can be contested this year.

This year’s Wimbledon championship was cancelled for the first time since World War II while the French Open, originally due to be held from May 24-June 7, was rescheduled for September 20-October 4, shortly after the end of the US Open.

Djokovic made a flying start to the 2020 season, winning the Australian Open in January for his 17th grand slam title and stretched his winning run to 18 matches before the pandemic brought sports events across the world to a halt.

So far the governing bodies of tennis have suspended all tournaments until July 13.

In addition, the women’s Rogers Cup in Montreal that was due to be held in August will also not take place this year.

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on telegram
Telegram

Never miss any important news. Subscribe to our newsletter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Enter email to receive ANR News articles, 2 free e-books, plus the Global Health Organisation Report

Donate Now to Help Take Back Our World

$1000 Donation Turns Into $4000 of the New Global Currency

Donate Now to Help Take Back Our World

$1000 Donation Turns Into $4000 of the New Global Currency

OWC (Our World Coin) Sponsorship Offer

If you donate to the Resistance you will receive major incentives.

Such as the following in Our World Coin which lists early 2022.

Plus if you donate over $2500 you will also receive 20% in Bitcoin 2.0