February 24, 2024 10:31 am

London council scraps plans for Hanukkah menorah over ‘possible vandalism’ — RT World News

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest
WhatsApp
Telegram

URGENT: JUST 11 DAYS REMAIN TO HELP SAVE INDEPENDENT MEDIA & ANR, TO ENSURE WE ARE FULLY FUNDED FOR NEXT MONTH,SO LET'S CUT THE BS & GET TO THE POINT - WE WILL BE FORCED LAY OFF STAFF & REDUCE OPERATIONS UNLESS WE ARE FULLY FUNDED WITHIN THE NEXT 2 WEEKS - Sadly, less than 0.5% of readers currently donate or subscribe to us But YOU can easily change that. Imagine the impact we'd make if 3 in 10 readers supported us today. To start with we’d remove this annoying banner as we could fight for a full year...

Havering Borough officials argued the installation only risked “inflaming tensions” within the community

The Borough of Havering in East London has abandoned its plans to erect the traditional Hanukkah menorah in front of Town Hall this year, opting to only briefly place a “temporary installation” in its stead. 

The local council attributed the move to the “escalating tensions from the conflict in the Middle East” and stood by its decision despite facing sharp criticism, which included accusations of “cowardice” and even “anti-Semitism.”

The decision to scrap the display to celebrate the upcoming Jewish festival was first reported by local media on Wednesday. The Havering council claimed that placing the Hanukkiah, a special nine-branched candelabrum traditionally lit during the eight-day holiday, commonly referred to simply as the ‘Hanukkah menorah,’ would “risk further inflaming tensions” within the community. Instead, the council said it would erect a “temporary installation” to mark the beginning of Hanukkah, which will be dismantled immediately after the event.

The move has been harshly criticized by Jewish rights groups and politicians alike, with local Conservative MP Andrew Rosindell expressing “grave concern” over the decision.

“Should this be true, this would be a grave insult to the Jewish community in Romford. Fundamentally this is a matter of religious freedom, and has nothing to do with current affairs in the Middle East,” the MP stated.

The Campaign Against Antisemitism, a London-based NGO, slammed the decision by the council as a display of “cowardice” and a breach of its public duties.

“At a time when nearly seven in 10 British Jews feel afraid to express their identity in public, this is a monumental dereliction of duty,” the group said.

In light of the criticism, the council released a detailed statement on Thursday in which it pledged to stand by its decision and provided its reasoning for abandoning the menorah display plans.

“We appreciate this is a hugely sensitive issue but in light of escalating tensions from the conflict in the Middle East, installing the candelabra now will not be without risk to the Council, our partners, staff and local residents. We would also be concerned with any possible vandalism or other action against the installation,” the council explained, adding that the conflict between Israel and Hamas had already prompted an “increase in the number of hate crimes in Havering, both towards the Jewish and Muslim community.”

The council has strongly denied any allegations of anti-Semitism, insisting that such a statement was “categorically untrue and such statements are likely to incite further unrest in our communities.”

“The Council flew the Israeli flag in solidarity following the heinous terrorist attack against the people of Israel and we continue to stand by our local Jewish communities,” it added, expressing hopes “that community tensions will have subsided” by next year’s festivities.

You can share this story on social media:

Source link

Opinion pieces don’t necessarily reflect the position of our news site but of our Opinion writers.

Original Source: London council scraps plans for Hanukkah menorah over ‘possible vandalism’ — RT World News

Support the ANR from as little as $8 – it only takes a minute. If you can, please consider supporting us with a regular amount each month. Thank you.

Let’s not lose touch…Your Government and Big Tech are actively trying to censor the information reported by The ANR to serve their own needs. Subscribe now to make sure you receive the latest uncensored news in your inbox…

Australian National Review is Australia’s first real free and independent press, one with no editorial control by the elite, but a publication that can generate critical thinkers and critical debate and hold those spreading mistruths and deliberate propaganda in mainstream media to account.

News with a difference that will be educational, compelling and create a platform for political and social change in this country and address the real issues facing this country and the world.

Discover more from The ANR

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Watch Full Documentary

URGENT: JUST 3 DAYS REMAIN TO HELP SAVE INDEPENDENT MEDIA & ANR, SO LET'S CUT THE BS & GET TO THE POINT - WE WILL BE FORCED TO LAY OFF STAFF & REDUCE OPERATIONS UNLESS WE ARE FULLY FUNDED WITHIN THE NEXT 2 WEEKS

Sadly, less than 0.5% of readers currently donate or subscribe to us But YOU can easily change that. Imagine the impact we'd make if 3 in 10 readers supported us today. To start with we’d remove this annoying banner as we could fight for a full year...

Get access to TruthMed- how to save your family and friends that have been vaxx with vaccine detox, & how the Unvaxxed can prevent spike protein infection from the jabbed.

Free with ANR Subscription from $8